Warning: cinnamon blueberry breakfast quinoa is kiiiind of not the prettiest thing I’ve ever made. But I promise it sure is tasty.
I got inspired to make cinnamon breakfast quinoa yesterday when I stumbled upon THIS at the grocery store:
You know I love me some Cinnabon, so it took a whoooole lotta will power (and a seriously ridiculous FIVE DOLLAR price tag) to resist this goodness.
I’ve made breakfast quinoa in the past (thanks to Miss Tracey, hey gurl!), but I decided to pump up the Cinnabon volume with extra cinnamon and brown sugar. Luckily quinoa is so super good for you that it totally negates any added sugar cals.
This stuff is GOOD. Mega good. So good that you forget it’s technically a health food…good. Creamy and cinnamony and warm and filling. Perfect for a snowy day.
Not that it’s ever going to snow. I’m not bitter.
Cinnamon Blueberry Breakfast Quinoa (adapted from Martha Stewart)
serves 3-4, depending on serving size
- 2 cups plain or vanilla soy milk (you can use regular milk, but I’ve found that soy milk gives the quinoa a creamier texture)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a boil over medium heat. Add the quinoa and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low until most of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Allow to cook, uncovered, until all milk has been absorbed, about 3-5 minutes. If you’re using fresh blueberries, stir them in for the last minute of cooking. For frozen blueberries, add them a little sooner so they have time to warm up.
- Serve quinoa warm with extra blueberries and cinnamon sprinkled on top.