I have a new favesie thing.
It’s carrot cake.
This is weird for a couple of reasons.
1. Carrot cake is made of (not surprisingly) lots of carrot. Why would my new favorite thing be a VEGETABLE cake when there are things like peanut butter and chocolate in the world? Seriously, like 6 (full-sized, not baby) carrots inside.
2. Usually carrot cake has raisins in it. EW, ew, ew, EW. Raisins baked into anything (especially a fluffy cake) makes my tongue itch. Before you get all WebMD on me, no, this isn’t due to an allergy. Rather, the texture of raisins gives me the heebie jeebies; they’re just so…plump. Some things make people’s skin crawl, baked raisins make my tongue itch. Judge me.
3. Cream cheese frosting. Yeeuck. I have a food aversion to cream cheese on anything except a bagel.
But, the stars aligned this weekend when I stumbled upon a raisinless carrot cake recipe AND discovered a perfect [not-too-cream-cheesy] frosting while doing my weekly cupcake research. It’s a tough job, but someone’s gotta do it.
Carrot cake will make your whole apartment smell like pure heaven AND since there is like 1/2 carrot in every cupcake you can count it as a serving of vegetables. Seriously, I checked with my nutritionist roomie.* These cupcakes are SO moist and perfectly flavored.
ALSO I smooshed the extra carrot cake and cream cheese frosting together to make carrot cake cake balls and they were the BEST cake balls I’ve ever had. Bonus points for zero cream cheese taste.
Cream Cheese Frosting
(yield: enough for 12 cupcakes)
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Another lie. Sarah please don’t call me out. 1/2 a serving?