I have a love/hate relationship with honey. Mostly I love to hate it, which is a direct result of the 7 gazillion peanut butter and honey sandwiches consumed in my elementary school years. I was one of those anti-lunch meat kids who would eat exclusively peanut butter/honey/jam/banana sandwich combos. Often with a side of frozen Snickers that I bought for $.55 from the lunchroom freezer. DO YOU REMEMBER THEM? Heaven. On. Earth.
I was also the kid that made an apartment for pencil-topper Trolls inside her desk and planned a Troll wedding with her friends and dyed the Trolls’ hair with purple highlighter. Theeee coolest.
In my adult years I’ve ditched the Trolls (or have I?) and decided to give honey another go. I created these cupcakes as a throwback to one of those great little-kid comfort foods: peanut butter-honey-banana sandwiches. Whattup fourth grade! In my opinion you can really never go wrong with a peanut butter & banana combo, but the honey addition kicks it up to a totally gourmet level. Am I on to something here? Childhood faves in cupcake form?
Next up: Grilled cheese & hotdog cupcakes.
Banana Cupcakes (adapted from Martha Stewart)
yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups mashed (very ripe) bananas
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In small bowl, combine oil and yogurt. Add the oil mixture, bananas, eggs, and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Gently fold to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly among the paper liners. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Top with peanut butter & honey buttercream.
Peanut Butter & Honey Buttercream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter, and honey on medium high until smooth. Scrape down the sides and add the confectioners sugar; mix on low until combined. If the buttercream seems too thick, add 2-3 teaspoons of milk depending on desired consistency. Add the vanilla and pinch of salt; beat on high for 2 minutes or until fully combined. Spread on cooled banana cupcakes.