Not sure about your neck of the woods, but here in Boston it’s been REALLY FREAKING HOT for quite some time now. So hot that I’ve been avoiding my kitchen like the plague. So hot that I’ve spent the past seventeen days within three feet of my air conditioner. Any farther and I MIGHT DIE.
This is not an exaggeration. (Yes it is). My apartment is near 150 degrees. (Give or take). I can’t even sit on the couch for a full episode of The Kardashians without turning into a sweat monster. (True).
So the thought of turning on my oven? No thaaaaaank you. BUT, it’s about time I posted a baked good recipe before you all delete The Sweet Life Popsicle Blog from your Google Reader.
Baking this zucchini bread looked a little something like this:
Grate the zucchini. Break a sweat. Run to bedroom for 5 minute air-conditioned oasis.
Return to kitchen. Measure flour. Break a sweat. Run to AC oasis.
Return to kitchen. Open chocolate chip bag to find that all the chips have melted together into a chocolately mass. Eat said mass. Run to AC oasis.
Return to kitchen. Crack an egg. Break a sweat. Watch an episode of Grey’s in the – you guessed it! – air conditioned oasis.
You get the picture. All for you, people, all for you.
This bread is light and fluffy and oozing with chocolate and if you weren’t looking you *might* even think that you’re eating a brownie. Not that I would EVER mistake ANYTHING but a brownie for a brownie, but the point I’m trying to make is that this bread* is goo-ooo-ooood even though I secretly halved the amount of sugar. Ballllllin’!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread (adapted from Taste of Home’s Chocolate Zucchini Bread)
yield: one loaf
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup milk (next time I’m going to try subbing greek yogurt)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8×4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat brown sugar, oil, egg, milk, and vanilla on medium until fully combined. Add flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon; mix on low until it just starts to come together. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before removing from loaf pan. Cool completely, then slice and serve!
*Let’s get real. By bread I mean loaf-sized cake.