I have irrational fears. Like, a lot of them. Perhaps the most irrational of them all is the belief that the girl from the Sixth Sense lives under my bed. I’ve checked (physically) and know (rationally) that underneath my bed is full of storage and bags and there’s no way a creepy dead girl could fit, much less LIVE under there. But that CERTAINLY does not stop me from leaping into bed from five feet away so she (imaginary creepy dead girl) won’t be able to reach my ankles to grab them. M. Night Shyamalan, thank you for ruining my life.
Additionally, I’m scared that every time I stub my baby toe I’m going to lose my toe nail. (This happened to me last week and NO I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.)
And any time anyone gets hit in the eye and they cover their face like “Ouuuuch Charlie!“, I’m convinced that when they uncover it their eyeball is going to be GONE. Vanished. (Who has two thumbs and is passionately irrational? This girl.)
I’m also worried that I will forget my keys and/or forget to lock the door and someone will break in and murder me. (This fear was newly exacerbated when Mike couldn’t find his keys one morning only to discover them IN THE DOOR. ON THE OUTSIDE. WHERE THEY HAD BEEN ALL NIGHT.)
Finally, I fear that I will never own a puppy. (Just kidding. Threw that one in for comic relief. Obviously it’s only a matter of time.)
Awhile back I heard someone use the term “sugar tumors”* and [(ir)rationally] convinced myself I was growing at least 17 and decided to back off the sugar for awhile**.
*It’s also possible that I made this term up in my own head.
**Read: Four days.
Despite the sometimes-breaks from sugar, I recently realized that I’ve never actually made a baked treat with minimal/no added sugar (to me this means granulated or cane sugar) and set off to make a baked good sweetened only with honey. And honey pistachio muffins were born!
WOW-za. Revelation! First of all, I totally do not feel guilty eating these muffins for breakfast because, hello! Barely any sugar. They are just a little bit sweet, almost to the point of savory. And the batter? DEEEEEEEE-lish. Also perfection served warm with a little drizzle of honey.
Honey Pistachio Muffins (adapted from Scarletta Bakes)
yield: 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1/2 cup honey (use the good stuff, it’s worth it!)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pistachios, finely ground*
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup pistachios, finely chopped
*Note: Use a food processor to grind the pistachios until they are the texture/size of coffee grounds.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk oil and honey until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until fully incorporated. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground pistachios.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the oil/honey/egg mixture in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk (so you should add some flour mixture, mix, half the buttermilk, mix, flour mixture, mix, the rest of the buttermilk, mix, the rest of the flour mixture). Stir until just combined; do not overmix!
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin tin, filling each liner about 2/3 of the way. Sprinkle the finely chopped pistachios onto the tops of the muffin batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
These look great! My extended family owns a bee farm and therefore I get a lot of honey from them. I’ll have to use up some with these muffins.
That is so cool! I recently discovered that I like honey so I am all about it these days. Honey bees are so fascinating!
This is going on my baking to-do list. Beautiful photos!
And I totally worry I’m going to lose a toenail no matter which toe I stub. Is that even the correct verb usage?
Whatever… These look amazing!! I’m all about honey and pistachios and carbs.
Ha!! Glad I’m not the only one! I TOE-tally (get it??!) freak out about all the toes as well, but the baby one worries me the most.
what a unique flavor, sounds delish!
Yum yummy yummy!!! You know I love this.
There are certain exercises I can’t do at the gym, because they fill my brain with images of a dumbbell crashing down onto my mouth, knocking out all of my teeth, and leaving me a bloody mess. It doesn’t matter how light the weight is, how good a grip I have…I just can’t do it.
OMG! That’s terrifying! #newworstfear #notthatIgotothegym
This is very well done! =D
I’m allergic to pistachios but these look fantastic!
Pingback: Pistachios aren’t naturally red?: Honey Pistachio Muffins | The Crafty Cook Nook
Hi, Sweet Life. Just wanted to let you know I made these muffins earlier this week, and they were a hit at my office. I just posted about them at my blog: http://craftycooknook.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/pistachios-arent-naturally-red-honey-pistachio-muffins/
I was convinced that I had monsters under my bed for years. Then I got a cat and knew what was under my bed playing.
Can’t wait to try these!
Pingback: Five Things You Might Not Know About Me | The Sweet Life