Yesterday in first grade we talked about using body language to show emotions. We talked about how crossing your arms means you’re probably angry or frustrated (Melanie on a sugar cleanse), head down means you’re probably sad or embarrassed (Melanie when she tries to dognap a puppy and the owner catches her), rolling your eyes means you’re probably annoyed (Melanie when she runs out of sprinkles), and eyes + mouth wide open means you’re probably surprised (Melanie when she discovers a new item at Trader Joe’s).
We also agreed that smiling probably means you’re happy (Melanie when she sees donuts).
Unless you have 75 stages of happiness – beginning with a smile and ending with a happy dance – in which case you’re forced to create a body-language-as-related-to-donuts taxonomy…
Smiling THIS BIG (Melanie when she sees chocolate donuts).
Smiling THIS BIG while jumping up and down (Melanie when she sees chocolate donuts dipped in chocolate glaze).
Smiling THIS BIG while jumping up and down and flailing your hands in the air (Melanie when she sees chocolate donuts dipped in chocolate glaze stuffed with chocolate chips).
Smiling THIS BIG while jumping up and down and flailing your hands in the air and occasionally fist pumping (Melanie when she sees chocolate donuts dipped in chocolate glaze stuffed with chocolate chips covered in rainbow sprinkles).
Smiling THIS BIG while jumping up and down and flailing your hands in the air and occasionally fist pumping and twirling (Melanie when she sees chocolate donuts dipped in chocolate glaze stuffed with chocolate chips covered in rainbow sprinkles on the first sunny and warm day in 4 months (!!!!!))
#happydance #happydance #happydance
So…what makes YOU do a happy dance? And is it as *ahem* expressive as mine?
Triple Chocolate Baked Donuts (adapted very slightly from Shutterbean)
yield: about 9
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips or chunks
Note: the original recipe yields 6 donuts, but I ended up with 10, probably due to the addition of chocolate chunks and how I filled my donut pan with batter.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Coat a donut pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate, smaller bowl, stir to combine the buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to gently fold the ingredients together. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to a large (don’t try to use a small bag! Batter explosion!) ziploc bag; snip off a corner and seal shut. Use the bag to pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling each well about 1/2-2/3 full (I err on the side of 1/2 full). Be careful not to overfill as the donuts expand quite a bit. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the donut tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool completely on a wire rack. Top with chocolate glaze (recipe below).
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
In the microwave or in a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup, and vanilla. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Dip the donuts in and twirl slightly to coat; top with sprinkles if you please!
Melanie I love this post! The pictures are great and I want one of those doughnuts right now!!
omg just stop! These look to-die-forrrrrr!
Oh my goodness!!! YUM!!!! must try this recipe!!!
Anything chocolate and THESE doughnuts would make me do a happy dance for sure! Love these!
Pingback: I love lists, Friday – Shutterbean
wow. just wow. those look insanely good.
Oh I love the different toppings on these! They would make my 2:30 work slump disappear. Alas, the pictures will have to do for now
This is probably the most stunning photography I’ve seen on your blog (and you ALWAYS have stunning photography). Lovely, laugh-aloud post…and I am dying over these photos.
OMG!!!!! I just made a double batch of these. They are sooooooo good. You went on about them so much I figured I better make double.Glad I did. Love reading your blog!
WOW. I agree with Clair. Best donut photog EVA.
Chocolate donuts are basically my fave. Ever.
(and you. You’re my fave ever too)
Hey 🙂 do I have to keep it in the refrigerator if i want to eat it the next day?
Pingback: Triple Chocolate Donuts + Donut Giveaway! | Style Me Pretty
Pingback: Mexico Wedding Expert » Triple Chocolate Donuts + Donut Giveaway!
Pingback: Triple Chocolate Donuts + Donut Giveaway! - GlassMage
Pingback: Triple Chocolate Donuts + Donut Giveaway! « Eastlands Estate
Pingback: 4th of July Treats
Pingback: Triple Chocolate Baked Doughnuts | Hip Foodie Mom
Pingback: National Donut Day: Our Fave | Garlic My Soul