Yesterday I walked all the way from Beacon Hill to Fort Point Channel to the Public Garden (that’s like, all of Boston) without. wearing. a coat.
Do you know what this means??? SPRING HAS SPRUNG.
So full of happy, in fact, that I finally concluded my blogging hiatus, dusted off my sprinkle cabinet, and baked you a giant cookie! So many colors! So much happy!
I know I’m like every other person in the world when I say I didn’t know I was in a deep dark cold-weather depression until I finally felt the warmth of the sun, but really? Can we ever talk about it enough? SPRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING. Blue skies and birds chirping! Colorful flowers and leaves on trees! NO MORE MITTENS!
Also #happydance-inducing?? I baked this cookie using coconut oil instead of butter and it is reeeeal good. And there are rainbow sprinkles inside. Doo-dee-doo-dee-dooooo.
Springtime Happiness Cookie Cake (adapted from this cookie pie)
yield: one 9-inch cookie cake
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or unsalted butter) at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate M&Ms (or semisweet chocolate chips)
- A handful of sprinkles, if you’re feeling extra happy
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease (or coat with cooking spray) a 9-inch* round cake pan. In a medium bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the coconut oil and brown sugar together until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla; beat until fully combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir on low until the ingredients just come together; add 3/4 of the M&Ms and sprinkles and stir until incorporated.
- Press the dough into the greased pan. Top with remaining 1/4 cup M&Ms. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Cool completely** on a wire rack, then remove from the pan and serve.
*You can use an 8-inch or 10-inch cake pan, whatever you have on hand. Just adjust the time by a few minutes (longer bake time for 8-inch, shorter for 10-inch) to account for the different size.
**Or.. don’t let it cool, top it with vanilla ice cream, and eat it straight from the pan.😉