Remember last year when I was all high & mighty and refused to celebrate fall until the actual first day of fall? Who am I? Why am I so annoying?
More importantly, WHY would I EVER resist putting pumpkin into things A.S.A.P???
1. Browned butter.
2. Pumpkin spice.
3. Easy peasy.
5. Browned butter.
6. No oven needed!
*Please pay extra attention to numbers 1 and 5. Brooooooowwwnnned buuuutttttterrrrr is my friiiieeeennnndddd.
These bars are SO easy. You can whip them up in 10 minutes and bask in their pumpkin spice glory for however long it takes you to down the entire pan. For me, it was 35 minutes. *Insert thumbs-up sign here*
Pumpkin Spice Crispy Treats (adapted from the traditional Krispie Treats recipe)
- 3 tablespoons butter, browned
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
*I bought pumpkin pie spice from Trader Joe’s, but you can make you own by combining these spices)
- In a large pot, melt and brown the butter over medium heat. Swirl the butter around in the pan until it starts to brown (it will deepen in color and smell slightly nutty, but watch it closely so that it doesn’t burn!). Turn the heat down to low and add the marshmallows, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice. Allow to melt completely, stirring occasionally to combine.
- Add the cereal and stir until fully coated. Press the mixture into a greased 9×13 pan using a rubber spatula. Allow to cool, then cut into squares.