Remember last year when I was all high & mighty and refused to celebrate fall until the actual first day of fall? Who am I? Why am I so annoying?
More importantly, WHY would I EVER resist putting pumpkin into things A.S.A.P???
If you do one thing this weekend, you should make these crispy treats, for the following reasons:
1. Browned butter.
2. Pumpkin spice.
3. Easy peasy.
5. Browned butter.
6. No oven needed!
*Please pay extra attention to numbers 1 and 5. Brooooooowwwnnned buuuutttttterrrrr is my friiiieeeennnndddd.
These bars are SO easy. You can whip them up in 10 minutes and bask in their pumpkin spice glory for however long it takes you to down the entire pan. For me, it was 35 minutes. *Insert thumbs-up sign here*
Pumpkin Spice Crispy Treats (adapted from the traditional Krispie Treats recipe)
- 3 tablespoons butter, browned
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
*I bought pumpkin pie spice from Trader Joe’s, but you can make you own by combining these spices)
- In a large pot, melt and brown the butter over medium heat. Swirl the butter around in the pan until it starts to brown (it will deepen in color and smell slightly nutty, but watch it closely so that it doesn’t burn!). Turn the heat down to low and add the marshmallows, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice. Allow to melt completely, stirring occasionally to combine.
- Add the cereal and stir until fully coated. Press the mixture into a greased 9×13 pan using a rubber spatula. Allow to cool, then cut into squares.
They don’t sell mini marshmallows here, but I’d love to make these over the weekend. Any idea of the amount of full sized marshmallows one would need to replace the minis?Thanks!
I believe the original rice krispies recipe says to use a 10-oz bag of regular-sized marshmallows, which is about 40 marshmallows. Good luck and happy weekend!!
Pumpkin and rice crispy squares. PURE genius.
My son is a picky eater, but one of his favorite things is pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. These are going to be PERFECT. So excited. Thanks for sharing!
Yay – thank you!!
What a great way to jumpstart fall, yum!
I love making rice krispy treats and this will just take them to the next level! I’m thinking they’ll be great fro Thanksgiving, but I don’t know if I can wait that long…
DON’T wait that long!! Do it TODAY!
Haha! Well, first I need to go to the grocery store, and THEN I can make them. Maybe I’ll aim for doing it within the next couple weeks. 🙂
Love this!!! great for fall and the kids! 🙂
Just made these… Delicious!! I’m going to have to hide them from myself so I have some to take in to work tomorrow!!
Hide them from yourself – haha! Love it!!
My husband loves anything pumpkin, can not wait to make these for him, sheila
Pingback: Midweek Snack: Pumpkin Spice Crispy Treats - Savvy Kids